Monday, July 5, 2010

The Reluctant Christian

DISCIPLE: Lord Jesus, how can I approach you, when I know the wickedness that lies within me? How can I dare to begin a journey toward you, when I know my feet are not even worthy to step onto the path of holiness? I want to hide under my office desk, to get onto a horse and ride far away, to escape in a movie, where I can forget everything, even if only for a little while... But where can I hide from you, Lord? Where can I run? No matter where I go, I cannot escape your gaze. Your gaze is loving, compassionate, and yet I try to hide. Why do I do this, Lord? No matter where I run, You are with me. And this both comforts and terrifies me, and I don't know why.

CHRIST: My child, you were created through Me, infused with my Spirit, at my Father's will. Beginnings start with Me. Your journey begins with Me. Through Me, all things are possible, even this journey which seems impossible to you. Take My hand, and we will walk this journey together.

DISCIPLE: I know that with You, Lord, all things are possible. But You are all-powerful, whereas I am... vulnerable. This path that lies ahead, it is full of vipers and sheep-clothed wolves, isn't it? You are impervious to these monsters, but I am not!

CHRIST: Remember that you cannot say that I do not understand what you are going through. I allowed Myself to become vulnerable for your sake, leaving My Heavenly Family to experience the banishment that is the condition of Fallen Man. My body was allowed to become weak enough to be broken on the Cross, all because I love you. Even if you were the only human who needed to be saved, I would have done this just for you. I am now giving you the opportunity to walk the path of holiness toward a relationship with me. Yes, you will experience suffering, but you do not have to make this journey alone. I will give you much help, both Heavenly and earthly, and they will teach you how suffering with love brings you ever closer to Me.

DISCIPLE: I don't understand these things, my Lord. But I confess that You are the steward of all truth, and I will follow You, even if I don't understand.

CHRIST: Then arise, pick up your mat, and let's get started. I am with you every step of the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment